Thursday, August 29, 2013

Book Review: Hover by Melissa West

Hover (The Taking #2)
Author:  Melissa West
Publisher:  Entangled Teen, 352 pages
Publication Date:  August 13, 2013

From Goodreads:
On Earth, seventeen-year-old Ari Alexander was taught to never peek, but if she hopes to survive life on her new planet, Loge, her eyes must never shut. Because Zeus will do anything to save the Ancients from their dying planet, and he has a plan. 

Thousands of humans crossed over to Loge after a poisonous neurotoxin released into Earth's atmosphere, nearly killing them. They sought refuge in hopes of finding a new life, but what they became were slaves, built to wage war against their home planet. That is, unless Ari and Jackson can stop them. But on Loge, nothing is as it seems...and no one can be trusted.


Review:
I absolutely loved this book and it kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. This book was phenomenal.  I still love Ari, who is strong, caring, principled, and willing to sacrifice herself to help other people.  The book starts with Ari still recovering from being poisoned on Earth.  She's pushed Jackson away because she just doesn't trust him anymore, but Jackson is still there.  Oh, Jackson, how much I love him!  Strong, mysterious, caring, vulnerable.  We learn so much more about Jackson and we definitely see a different side to him.  "What can I say? For me, it has always been you."  Awww.  Their relationship changes and grows in this novel as they realize how much they need each other and Ari realizes that she never really knew Jackson at all. And I love Melissa West for not creating a stupid unnecessary love triangle.  They have enough going on to worry about that.  

We quickly learn that a lot of the people on this planet are not happy with Zeus, the leader.  He's basically insane and cruel and we learn a lot more about him and about his relationship with Jackson.  We learn more about Loge and the people there.  Things are definitely ramping up for a big battle.  Something's going on on Earth, but we don't know what.  Zeus will never compromise.  It's up to Ari and Jackson along with some new characters (Vill, Emmy, and Mamie) to save everyone on Loge and on Earth.  And then, just in the middle of an action-packed scene...it ends.  Just be prepared. 

I must digress to rant a bit about cliffhangers.  I'm so sick of them!  Why can't authors write series or trilogies without these huge cliffhangers that leave us hanging for an entire year?  This is just getting ridiculous, I have to say.  I knew it was going to happen, I just knew it, but I still finished the book and, if it hadn't been on my Kindle, I think I would have thrown it across the room.  Ends in the middle of a scene.  Gah!

Ok, I guess I'm finished with my rant.  

Even with the cliffhanger ending, this book was incredible.  Action, romance, danger, surprises, this book has it all.  I LOVED it!


Posted by:  Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment