Friday, March 20, 2015

Book Review: Confess by Colleen Hoover

Confess
Author:  Colleen Hoover
Publisher:  Atria Books, 320 pages
Publication Date:  March 10, 2015

From Goodreads:
Auburn Reed has her entire life mapped out. Her goals are in sight and there’s no room for mistakes. But when she walks into a Dallas art studio in search of a job, she doesn’t expect to find a deep attraction to the enigmatic artist who works there, Owen Gentry.

For once, Auburn takes a risk and puts her heart in control, only to discover Owen is keeping major secrets from coming out. The magnitude of his past threatens to destroy everything important to Auburn, and the only way to get her life back on track is to cut Owen out of it.

The last thing Owen wants is to lose Auburn, but he can’t seem to convince her that truth is sometimes as subjective as art. All he would have to do to save their relationship is confess. But in this case, the confession could be much more destructive than the actual sin…


Review:
Colleen Hoover definitely knows how to create characters that you care about, characters that you root for.  I felt for both Auburn and Owen.  I wanted them to be together.  And when you find out about Owen's connection with Auburn from a long time ago.  Aww….

However, I was disappointed in the big thing that keeps them apart.  Such a cliché.  The "villain" character is two-dimensional, as is another character that's problematic for seemingly no good reason.  So while I enjoyed the book, and it tugs at your heartstrings, I didn't love it.  However, she's still an auto-buy author because she makes me FEEL.

Posted by:  Pam

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this one overall! Sadly, I've fallen out of love with CoHo. Maybe, Someday and Ugly Love were NOT for me at all. Her characters always seem to have a past connection, but also some other love or thing they can't get past that ups the angst and drama factor. It's gotten to be too much for me. However, she does pull at your heartstrings and has a huge following and I am happy to see her grow into such a huge writer after Slammed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been so long since I've read a CoHo book - it makes me sad, but I just can't connect with he stories any more. :(
    I hate pointless drama, so I'm sorry that was present here, but I'm glad it still made you feel! That woman is a writing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, after the rage-fest that was Hopeless for me, I am scared to read anything else by this author. That is probably unfair, but I can keep being unfair a little while longer since you didn't love this one (and thus, I am even less inclined to ever read it)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only read one Colleen Hoover book - Hopeless - and that book broke me. So many feels. I definitely want to read all her other books because everyone just constantly raves about her.

    ReplyDelete