Friday, March 13, 2015

Discussion Question: Delay Reading Second Book?

I love reading the first book in a new series.  Meeting new characters, discovering a new world.  If there's romance, it's usually hate to love, or push-pull.  I love reading about couples falling in love.  And a lot of times it ends on a cliffhanger and it's so hard waiting for the second book to come out.  But lately, the second book in a trilogy or series comes out and I find myself putting it off.  For example, The Winner's Crime just came out.  I pre-ordered it, was so excited, but then it showed up at my door and I haven't started it yet.  Why?  

The first reason is because I need to reread The Winner's Curse.  I remember the basics, but I'm finding more and more that if I don't reread the previous books in series, I don't enjoy the subsequent books as much.  I'm usually a little lost and I've lost that connection that I have with the characters.  

The second reason is usually because the romance suffers in the second book.  Either a love triangle is introduced, the couple is apart the entire second novel, or something else happens that prevents them from being together (misunderstandings, etc.).  Hardly any second books have the new couple working together, growing together, etc. 

The third reason (and the most important for me) is that I know it's that middle book.  Now I've been reading great reviews, this one doesn't seem to suffer from middle book syndrome, but at the same time, I know the story won't be resolved.  It's not the final book.  And I'm just tired of reading parts of a story.  Does that make sense?  So I'm considering waiting until the final book is out and then binge reading the whole series.  And there are a couple of other trilogies out there that I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Loved the first book, the second book is out, but I'm just sort of meh about reading it until the final book is published.  

Have any of you felt like this before?


Posted by:  Pam

8 comments:

  1. My primary problem was needing to re-read which I am loathe to do so I have mostly stopped reading series until they are completely published. I used to worry that I would miss something - but now that I have you guys to track young adult fiction for me, I just wait for the review of the final book then start reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going through the same thing with The Winner's Crime right now - I'm almost positive I'm just not gonna read it until the third book releases so I can read them back to back. I've just heard what happens in the second book and it's too painful! I think this is the only time this has happened to me though. I know with some series I won't read the first book until the all three are out - the waiting is just too tough, and I like to know if there's gonna be a triangle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There have been many times that I have taken far too long to read the next book in a series. A lot of those times I waited so long I forgot what happened in the first one. I typically don't like to re-read, takes far too much time but it's probably what I'm going to have to do with a lot of books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I relate to this more and more every day. I am getting tired of reading trilogies where I have to wait a whole year or more for the next part of the story. And I barely ever reread (because I wouldn't be able to read NEARLY as many new books) and I know my reading experience suffers from that - not dramatically because my memory isn't that bad, especially for books that I love, but I do fail to retain some of those minor details. But rather than read the first book and then wait, I wouldn't even want to pick up the first book. I am more and more inclined to reevaluate my reading choices and start fewer new series (I know you did this for a while). We'll see though.... If a book is really popular there is no way I am going to have enough patience to wait until all of the books are out to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great topic! I've been doing this more lately as well for similar reasons. Also, seconds are when other love interests are introduced and if the situation seems at all worrisome, I'll hold off until the final to read 2 and 3 together. I think momentum is important when reading a series, and spacing them out can make it tough to pick up the enthusiasm again. Especially, because I'm not a huge re-reader. But waiting until 3 releases and then reading the second two together - or even rereading the first and then doing it is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh! Like all the time!!! I tend to not finish a series too for fear of the last book ruining it. Lol! So, I seem to be fabulous at starting a series. I have the same book and it's still sitting on my shelf as well. However, I will be reading it. I just have had too many computer issues and tour/review books that had priority and still do. I have to make it past this week... Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg I feel like this all the time! I just binge-read the Lux series by JLA and it was so refreshing to be able to read a complete story from start to finish without having to wait. I also thought I would grab The Winner's Crime right away, but I haven't and I'm debating waiting as well. I heard the cliffhanger is killer and I'm so tired of cliffhangers. Great discussion!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I definitely do this. I love The Raven Boys more than I love the other books (though they're all excellent) because it's got that introductory feel you describe in the first paragraph. And even if I got over my hesitance to read the other books, there's still something magical about that first book that you love and you're afraid the other books won't live up to those expectations.

    "I remember the basics, but I'm finding more and more that if I don't reread the previous books in series, I don't enjoy the subsequent books as much. " -- This again = my envy where you read so much. If I could read faster, use less time, I would totally do this because I think you've hit the nail on the head.

    "The second reason is usually because the romance suffers in the second book. Either a love triangle is introduced, the couple is apart the entire second novel, or something else happens that prevents them from being together (misunderstandings, etc.)." -- But I would argue that sometimes these fights does involve them growing together. Like in Insurgent, there are a lot of misunderstandings, but I liked the romance there more than in Divergent, because the misunderstandings led to new intimacy between Four and Tris.

    "at the same time, I know the story won't be resolved. It's not the final book. And I'm just tired of reading parts of a story. " -- You could totally marathon it and just avoid any and all spoilers! Seems like a good plan to me :P.

    ReplyDelete