Monday, April 27, 2015

Book Review: In a World Just Right by Jen Brooks

In a World Just Right
Author:  Jen Brooks
Publisher:  Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers, 432 pages
Expected Publication Date:  April 28, 2015
*ARC provided by author

From Goodreads:
Sometimes Jonathan Aubrey wishes he could just disappear. And as luck—or fate—would have it, he can. Ever since coming out of a coma as a kid, he has been able to create alternate worlds. Worlds where he is a superhero, or a ladies’ man, or simply a better version of himself. That’s the world he’s been escaping to most since sophomore year, a world where he has everything he doesn’t have in real life: friends, a place of honor on the track team, passing grades, and most importantly, Kylie Simms as his girlfriend.

But when Jonathan confuses his worlds senior year and tries to kiss the real Kylie Simms, everything unravels. The real Kylie actually notices Jonathan…and begins obsessing over him. The fantasy version of Kylie struggles to love Jonathan as she was created to do, and the consequences are disastrous. As his worlds collide, Jonathan must confront the truth of his power and figure out where he actually belongs—before he loses both Kylies forever.


Review:
A creative and imaginative take on parallel worlds, with Jonathan being a world-maker.  In the real world, Jonathan is lonely.  His mom, dad, and sister died in a plane crash when he was 8, which he survived.  He's never been the same after that. He has no friends.  He lives with his uncle, who he never sees (that was weird, although we get an explanation at the end).  To escape, he's created two different worlds, one where he has a girlfriend, Kylie, and another, where the entire world (I think?) is a dance club.  He created that one when he was 13 and doesn't go there very often (That world was pretty pointless, I have to say).  

Although Jonathan created Kylie-Simms-Is-My-Girlfriend world where the main parameter is that Kylie loves him, the rest of the world is basically the same as the real world, although he has a few friends and is on the track team (and doesn't get in trouble for missing school).  Is this a parallel world?  Is it "real"?  Are the people "real"?  Is this all in his imagination?  The book basically starts with Jonathan mixing up the two worlds, and suddenly neither Kylie is acting like they should.

I enjoyed this book, it was twisty and surprising and it kept me guessing the whole time.  And that reveal toward the end…whoa.  I did feel bad for Jonathan, but part of me also was a little creeped out by him.  Creating a fantasy version of a girl to love him?  There's a certain ick factor.  I also had tons of questions throughout the book, things that bugged me while I was reading, but most of them were answered by the end.  In a World Just Right is definitely worth a read.  

Posted by:  Pam

7 comments:

  1. I'm really excited for this one! Ever since Pivot Point I have been wanting to read another book with parallel worlds and I'm hoping that I enjoy this one just as much!

    Great review, Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked this one! I recently received a copy from Edelweiss, and I'm really excited to read it! Amazing review :)
    Kim @ Divergent Gryffindor: BLOG || VLOG

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a twisty good book! I must read this! Great review, Pam! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This kind of sounds like one of those books that will be a total mindfuck. It sounds twisty and good though. I haven't heard of it, but I think I'm definitely going to add it to my wishlist. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like twisty books and books that surprise me but I am unsure if I am in the mood for a parallel world book. This is the first time this book has come across my radar. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like parallel worlds but this one isn't pulling me in. (And there is that ick factor) I have a few others that I'd probably pick up first. But I'll try to keep it in mind since you say it's worth reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm. I have this one, but wasn't exactly sure what it was about beyond the fact that it had parallel universes. Interesting that he creates them. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete