Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Book Review: The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord

The Start of Me and You
Author:  Emery Lord
Publisher:  Bloomsbury, 384 pages
Publication Date:  March 31, 2015

From Goodreads:
It’s been a year since it happened—when Paige Hancock’s first boyfriend died in an accident. After shutting out the world for two years, Paige is finally ready for a second chance at high school . . . and she has a plan. First: Get her old crush, Ryan Chase, to date her—the perfect way to convince everyone she’s back to normal. Next: Join a club—simple, it’s high school after all. But when Ryan’s sweet, nerdy cousin, Max, moves to town and recruits Paige for the Quiz Bowl team (of all things!) her perfect plan is thrown for a serious loop. Will Paige be able to face her fears and finally open herself up to the life she was meant to live?

Review:
The Start of Me and You is a well-written and enjoyable coming of age novel.

What I liked:
1.  Paige is not your typical YA main character.  She's a non confrontational introvert (a Jane Bennett instead of an Elizabeth).  

2.  I loved Max, the nerdy guy whose in the robotics club, captain of the Quiz Bowl team, and spends many a Friday night at the bookstore, reading.  We need more guys like Max! (They shouldn't all be the obnoxious Alpha males).

3.  Friendship.  No mean girls here.  A group of four girls who support each other and are truly best friends.

4.  Family.  Parents and even a grandmother play an important role in Paige's life.

My only complaint is that it ended too soon.  I wanted MORE and the last paragraph really makes me curious about the future of Paige and Max.  Maybe Emery Lord is planning on writing a companion novel (about Tessa perhaps)?  Let's hope so!


Posted by:  Pam

6 comments:

  1. I've heard such good things about Emery Lord's books. I still need to read that other one that came out last year (of course I can't remember what it's called now...some country road trip thing?) This one sounds cute. Love that the parents are present. I'm so sick of absentee parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun read. Great review, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard such wonderful things about this story! I've actually read the ending (naturally), and I think it would definitely bug me that it ends there... but, I do plan on reading the book eventually. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I would love a companion novel!! I loved everything about this book but especially MAX <3 Nerdy boys for the WIN

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't the cover is so beautiful?? I'm glad you could enjoy this one, fantastic review overall :) <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
  6. You think that being a non confrontational introvert is not like the YA main character? I agree that there may be some Elizabeths but I would argue that there are many many Jane Bennett types (if we consider it a type, then she's beautiful, quiet, introverted, the oldest of her family and expected to take care of her family by securing a good marriage. Haven't you read books with that before? I mean... Twilight for me, Bella Swan is the most typical non confrontational introvert). I think there's a lot of difficulty though with a non confrontational MC because it might be hard to show the emotional problems that arise as organic rather than a failure on the part of the MC to be honest with the side characters.

    NERDY LOVE INTERESTS ARE THE BEST. All my favorite LIs sound like you've described Max. and I've heard from several other bloggers that Emery Lord does a really good job describing the friendship between girls -- which just warms my hear to see.

    I'm glad that you enjoyed the book! I own Open Road Summer and hope to read it soon enough!

    ReplyDelete