Friday, May 15, 2015

Book Review: The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker

The Witch Hunter (The Witch Hunter #1)
Author:  Virginia Boecker
Publisher:  Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 368 pages
Expected Publication Date:  June 2, 2015
*ARC received from publisher via NetGalley

From Goodreads:
Elizabeth Grey is one of the king's best witch hunters, devoted to rooting out witchcraft and doling out justice. But when she's accused of being a witch herself, Elizabeth is arrested and sentenced to burn at the stake.

Salvation comes from a man she thought was her enemy. Nicholas Perevil, the most powerful and dangerous wizard in the kingdom, offers her a deal: he will save her from execution if she can break the deadly curse that's been laid upon him.

But Nicholas and his followers know nothing of Elizabeth's witch hunting past--if they find out, the stake will be the least of her worries. And as she's thrust into the magical world of witches, ghosts, pirates, and one all-too-handsome healer, Elizabeth is forced to redefine her ideas of right and wrong, of friends and enemies, and of love and hate.

Review:
I loved this book!  The Witch Hunter is the perfect blend of magic and political intrigue, plus a dash of romance.  

Elizabeth is a wonderful heroine, even though she's clearly in the wrong.  There are evil witches of course, but then there are also good witches, like healers, but it doesn't matter.  If you're a witch, you're burned at the stake.  And it's not only witches who are burned at the stake but also anyone who uses any "magic" at all, including using special herbs.  What?  But Elizabeth's character growth, including her slow realization that she's been responsible for killing people, good people, is an important part of the story.

I loved the group of Reformists that Elizabeth joins.  George, "the fool," John, the sweet and gentle healer, and Fifer, the fiery witch.  The author does a great job of developing characters that I cared about.  Will they find out she's a witch hunter??

Impressive debut, I can't wait for the next one!



Posted by:  Pam

3 comments:

  1. I was unfortunately disappointed in this one. :( I didn't care much for the MC and the story was boring at times. But I adored Fifer, George, and of course John, and I'm hoping the sequel is better for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M READING THIS NEXT! I'm so happy you loved it because I had lost a little enthusiasm from some other ratings i've seen around but it sounds like so much fun and like a me book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! So happy to hear that you loved this one! I can't wait to read it. I think I have an egalley so hopefully I'll read it soon! Great review!

    ReplyDelete