Friday, September 25, 2015

Book Review: Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin

Wolf by Wolf (Wolf by Wolf #1)
Author:  Ryan Graudin
Publisher:  Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 400 pages
Expected Publication Date:  October 20, 2015
*ARC received from publisher via NetGalley

From Goodreads:
The year is 1956, and the Axis powers of the Third Reich and Imperial Japan rule the world. To commemorate their Great Victory over Britain and Russia, Hitler and Emperor Hirohito host the Axis Tour: an annual motorcycle race across their conjoined continents. The victor is awarded an audience with the highly reclusive Adolf Hitler at the Victor's ball.

Yael, who escaped from a death camp, has one goal: Win the race and kill Hitler. A survivor of painful human experimentation, Yael has the power to skinshift and must complete her mission by impersonating last year's only female victor, Adele Wolfe. This deception becomes more difficult when Felix, Adele twin's brother, and Luka, her former love interest, enter the race and watch Yael's every move. But as Yael begins to get closer to the other competitors, can she bring herself to be as ruthless as she needs to be to avoid discovery and complete her mission?

Review:
I loved this book!  Perfect pacing, great combination of action, deception, intrigue, and politics.  I admit, I'm a sucker for alternate history books, the what if scenarios. What if World War II happened differently? What if America never entered the war and Germany and Japan won?  Along with that, you have a sort of sci-fi aspect to it, with Yael being experimented on and able to look like anyone.  She joins the resistance and impersonates Adele so she can win a motorcycle race and get close to Hitler to assassinate him.  The competition is brutal and Yael quickly figures out that it's more difficult than she anticipated pretending to be Adele, since her brother is unexpectedly in the race and apparently she has some sort of relationship with Luka and she had no idea about it.  Who can she trust?  Let me just say…this is so good!!!  Cannot wait until the next one.


Posted by:  Pam

4 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to get lots of reading done this weekend and this book is at the top of my list! I really enjoy alternate history books too - I find them fascinating - and i'm pretty sure I'm going to love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a historical fan but it sounds like an amazing read. Nice review, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This concept sounds so intriguing! I'm gonna wait for book 2 before diving in, so I hope the sequel is as equally engaging. Great review, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I loved this one! So glad that you enjoyed it too. I thought the pacing was perfect and I just loved the whole premise. Can't wait to see where she's going to take the story next.

    ReplyDelete