Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Discussion Question: Should Authors Do More to Remind Readers of What Happened in Previous Books in Series?

I don't know about you, but it seems like most books I read these days are part of a series.  And I find it increasingly difficult to keep track of them.  Let's be honest.  I barely remember anything by the time the next book comes out.  But when you're talking about a year in between, I don't think there are that many people who do remember a lot about the previous book.  Why don't authors do more to remind us?  Even when we watch a TV series (if you do it the old-fashioned way of week to week), the new episode starts with "Previously on…"  and recaps what happened.  So apparently we can't remember what happened last week (well, let's face it, a lot of times I don't) but we can remember what happened last year.  Once in a blue moon you have an author who starts off the book with a recap (Karen Marie Moning's Fever series comes to mind) but most of them don't.  And they usually don't remind the reader throughout the book either.  It's as if they expect us to remember everything.  Or perhaps they expect us to reread.  So that's what I do, I reread.  But why should I?  I really think authors should do more to remind readers of what happened in previous books in series, either by providing a recap in the beginning of the book or explaining and reminding us throughout the book, weaving it in somehow.  Especially given that a lot of the series I read are not complete stories that stand on their own but are basically one big story divided into three parts. 

What do you think?

Posted by:  Pam

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I mean I'm not going to reread a book just to catch back up. I don't like to re read period to be honest so a little refresher would be helpful. I often just go into next books in series hoping something will jog my memory.

    ReplyDelete