Thursday, April 7, 2016

Book Review: Revenge and the Wild by Michelle Modesto

Revenge and the Wild
Author:  Michelle Modesto
Publisher:  Balzer + Bray, 384 pages
Publication Date:  February 2, 2016

From Goodreads:
The two-bit town of Rogue City is a lawless place, full of dark magic and saloon brawls, monsters and six-shooters. But it’s perfect for seventeen-year-old Westie, the notorious adopted daughter of local inventor Nigel Butler.

Westie was only a child when she lost her arm and her family to cannibals on the wagon trail. Nine years later, Westie may seem fearsome with her foul-mouthed tough exterior and the powerful mechanical arm built for her by Nigel, but the memory of her past still haunts her. She’s determined to make the killers pay for their crimes—and there’s nothing to stop her except her own reckless ways.

But Westie’s search ceases when a wealthy family comes to town looking to invest in Nigel’s latest invention, a machine that can harvest magic from gold—which Rogue City desperately needs as the magic wards that surround the city start to fail. There’s only one problem: the investors look exactly like the family who murdered Westie’s kin. With the help of Nigel’s handsome but scarred young assistant, Alistair, Westie sets out to prove their guilt. But if she’s not careful, her desire for revenge could cost her the family she has now.


Review:
There's a lot to like about Revenge and the Wild.  It's different, for one thing.  I mean, you have a 17 year old recovering alcoholic who is hunting for the cannibals who ate her family.  What?  Then you have a book that mashes up steampunk, western, and paranormal (werewolves, banshees, vampires, ogres, etc).  And it's entertaining for sure.  I still didn't love it, though, and I think there are a couple of reasons for that.  One, the romance was lacking for me.  Just not enough chemistry between the couple.  Second, every single guy is in love with Westie.  Really annoying.  But that plot twist that I didn't see coming…whoa.  Quite brutal.  

Posted by:  Pam

2 comments:

  1. I'm not too thrilled with how the romance sounds but I am intrigued by the plot twist. I might check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I want to read this or not. The romance aspect sounds like it will annoy me. But the twist... that intrigues me. Maybe it is one I will try myself.

    ReplyDelete