Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Book Review: Tell the Wind and Fire by Sarah Rees Brennan

Tell the Wind and Fire
Author:  Sarah Rees Brennan
Publisher:  Clarion Books, 368 pages
Publication Date:  April 5, 2016
*ARC received from publisher via NetGalley

From Goodreads:
In a city divided between opulent luxury in the Light and fierce privations in the Dark, a determined young woman survives by guarding her secrets.

Lucie Manette was born in the Dark half of the city, but careful manipulations won her a home in the Light, celebrity status, and a rich, loving boyfriend. Now she just wants to keep her head down, but her boyfriend has a dark secret of his own—one involving an apparent stranger who is destitute and despised. Lucie alone knows the young men’s deadly connection, and even as the knowledge leads her to make a grave mistake, she can trust no one with the truth.

Blood and secrets alike spill out when revolution erupts. With both halves of the city burning, and mercy nowhere to be found, can Lucie save either boy—or herself?


Review:
Confession:  I have not read A Tale of Two Cities, although I do know the basic plot.  But I was intrigued by a re-telling and I absolutely love Sarah Rees Brennan so I was super excited to read this one.  And it was good, but not great.

I really liked the magic, the premise of the City of Light and the City of Dark (the info dumping in the beginning was a bit much though).  But the characters fell a little flat for me, especially Ethan.  I only got to know him from what Lucie thinks about him, not from seeing it for myself.  Now Carwyn, he was interesting and complex and had a few funny lines, but this book didn't have the humor that made the Lynburn Legacy books so amazing.  

I do admit that, by the end, my heart did break a little.  So all and all, a mixed bag for me.


Posted by:  Pam


2 comments:

  1. I seen this one before and was unsure. I still feel unsure. Thanks for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen a lot of mixed reviews for this and I can't make up my mind whether it is something I want to read or not.

    ReplyDelete